Pages

Bocuse d'Or USA Competition 2012

A few Sundays ago, I attended the Bocuse d'Or USA competition at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park courtesy of Kitchen Aid USA.  The Bocuse d'or USA competition determines the chefs that will be representing the U.S. to compete in the Bocuse d'Or in Lyon, France in 2013.  It is a biennial event, and the world's most prestigious culinary competition; often referred as the Olympics of the culinary world. 

It was also the weekend of my sister's birthday and I spent the weekend with her in North Carolina.  We had a fantastic visit; however I had to cut it short by catching an early plane back to NY, then drive another hour and a half up to Hyde Park.  I know it seems like a lot of traveling just to go to an event, but for me this is not just another event.  This is culinary history in the making, and who knows if I'll ever have an opportunity to be part of the exciting competition again. 

After traveling all morning, I arrived at the event just in time to witness the chefs finishing their dishes.  There were four teams of chefs competing in the final round.  Each team must cook a fish dish and a chicken dish.  You could feel the excitement in the air that was surrounding four kitchens that were built in the students center where the event was held.   To see so many talented chefs in one place was overwhelming.  The expert judges consist of the who's who's in the chefs' world.  I was thrilled to be in the presence of all the amazing chefs; especially Chef Thomas Keller.  As you know  from my previous post, meeting him last year was one of the highlights; so I was thrilled to see him again.

In the end, Chef Richard Rosendale, Executive Chef of The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, won the competition with his Glen Hoooker's Cod dish and D'Artagnan Winter Chicken Platter.  Even though I didn't get to taste any of his dishes.  I do admit that his chicken dish was the best smelling of the bunch.  Chef Rosendale and his commis Corey Siegel will be working extremely hard to train to prepare for the Bocuse d'Or competition in Lyon in 2013.  I look forward to following his progress in the coming year, and will be rooting for the U.S.A. team for the Bocuse d'Or competition in 2013.




1 comment:

  1. This was a fun day!!! You always bring so much enthusiasm!!!!

    And I loved that you could smell the winning chicken dish.
    Margaret knows MEAT!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...