Pages

The Countdown

The countdown begins...less than a week until I begin culinary school. It's taken years for me to finally enroll; and once I did, I knew it's the right decision. Now that I have my uniforms and schedule in hand, I'm so ready to begin.

I love food. Ever since I was a young girl growing up in Hong Kong, I have fond memories of my grandfather taking me and my family out to dinner every Sunday. It was a ritual that I look forward to every week. My grandfather would choose which cuisine we'd enjoy: French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Indian, Chinese, the list would go on. For me, it was like getting a surprise present every week, trying to guess which country's cuisine we'll get to experience. It was an adventure and I was never hesitant to taste anything new and exotic. Every dish was like discovering a new world. Sunday dinners with my family have been some of my happiest childhood moments.

My love for food continued when my family and I moved to New York City. This is where my passion for food expanded. I discovered the cuisine of Latin American, Mexican, Caribbean, Middle Eastern and fell in love. I also developed a passion for cooking and entertaining. I enjoy experimenting recipes with my family and friends. I love making dishes for people to enjoy. I have the fantasy of opening a little shack on the beach of an exotic island and live happily ever after.

I'm eager to begin my culinary education yet I must admit I am somewhat nervous. After all it's been years since I've been back to school. I am also a bit anxious about working full time and attending school at night. I hope I won't be overwhelmed. I know I shouldn't put too much pressure on myself because I'm good at psyching myself out.  I procrastinated for years. I told myself it's never a good time. The right time doesn't exist for me because finding the time to do what I want is an inconvenience.

Until recently after some serious soul searching, I realized...why do I create so much pressure for myself, I have everything to gain and nothing to lose. This is not a do or die decision.  Life is short so why not experience something new! I rather try than never tried at all. I don't want to have any regrets.  Therefore, I'm extremely thankful for some of "my closest people" who supported my decision. I cherish your encouragement. It ultimately helped me discover that I have a great desire to go to culinary school. I hope you come back to check on my progress and allow me to share my journey with you. This is going to be a challenge; but I believe if you're passionate of what you do coupled with hard work, anything can happen!  Whatever awaits me is sure to be exciting and I am grateful for the opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. It's very inspiring! Enjoy our culinary journey! I look forward to hearing of your progress. Yogagirl

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...