Pages

Circo - Bollito Misto Week


Is it old man winter or return of polar vortex that is causing this unbearable weather?  Another snow storm arrived Tuesday evening.  As much as I don't like the bitter cold and threat of snow, I'm getting fed up with it.  As the winter months grow longer, I'm feeling braver to venture out in a snow storm.  I don't want the weather to stop me from enjoying a good meal with good company especially when I'm craving comfort food such as hearty stews and soups.  I simply can't get enough of it so when I was invited to Circo for their preview of Bollito Misto week; I was excited to try this rustic Italian comfort dish.  I braved the storm to join my fellow food troopers (Arlyn Blake, Jackie Gordon, Jean Lee, Judy Kim and Matt Bruck) for a delightful meal.

If you're not familiar with Circo, it is an Italian restaurant in midtown owned by the Maccioni Family who owns Le Cirque.  Bollito Misto is one of Sirio Maccioni's favorite dishes. Every winter they offer it on the menu at Circo.  Bollito Misto means 'mix boiled' which is a very traditional northern Italian dish. It consists of various cuts of meat simmer in a vegetable broth until the meat becomes tender.  Then it's usually sliced thinly then serve with a variety of condiments such as mostarda, coarse sea salt and salsa verde.  This year Circo is launching Bollito Misto week which starts Monday, January 27 to Friday, January 31.  They will be celebrating this comfort dish by offering a 5 course dinner for $49 per person.  Don't miss your chance to taste some of the traditional Italian dishes that are favorites of the Maccioni family.  Most of these dishes are prepared using Mamma Egi's recipes, and I was delighted to meet Mamma Egi.  Marco Maccioni, one of the sons and owners, also joined us while we previewed the five course tasting dinner.

The highlight of this menu for me was of course the Bollito Misto, but I also really enjoyed the Antipasto Platter specifically with the house made panzerotti bread and Mamma's Tortellini.  Mamma Egi told us other than the brisket and capon, she also added house made chicken and beef sausages to the Bollito Misto. The sausages were so tender and delicious.  The broth was flavorful and well seasoned.  Chef Alfio Longo, the Executive Chef, is offering five condiments to pair with the Bollito Misto which includes mostarda, coarse sea salt, salsa verde, mustard and spicy tomato sauce which I love since I love a little spiciness in my food.  I also enjoyed the mostarda with the sea salt (a little savory and sweet).  Marco also told us his favorite condiment which is the salsa verde; so there really is something for everyone.  He also proudly told us that he is a big fan of his mamma's tortellini which I too enjoyed very much.  They are the cutest and tastiest little dumplings ever.  I could eat bowls of those too. To pair with the whole meal, we tasted some delicious Lambrusco. We started out with the lighter Lambrusco di Sorbara then the bolder Reggiano with the Bollito Misto.  Finally, for dessert, we had a sweeter wine of Brachetto d'Acqui which I also enjoyed very much.

All in all, it was a fabulous way to spend a cold snowy evening.  You could experience this tasty 5 course menu for a limited time starting Monday, January 27.  I highly encourage you to take advantage of this great price, and warm your heart and soul with this delicious five course dinner.  Enjoy and Buon Appetito!

Antipasto Platter of Culatello di Zibello, Mortadella di Bologna, Parmigiano, Panzerotti and Mostarda
Mamma Egi's Tortellini with Broth
Pumpkin Cappelaci with Butter Sage and Saba Wine Sauce
Bollito Misto of Capon, Beef and Housemade Sausages with 5 condiments


Red Wine Pached Pear and Zabglione
Group Photo op missing Jean Lee who is taking the picture featuring: Bruno,  Matt Bruck, Mamma Egi, Chef Alfio Longo, Marco Macchioni, Judy Kim, Me, Arlyn Blake and Jackie Gordon
Disclaimer:  The dinner was hosted by Circo.  All opinions are my own, and I did not receive any compensation for this post.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...